Our Story

Our Story


In 2011, Paul Allam was inspired to set up The Bread & Butter Project following a trip with his wife, Jessica Grynberg, to Mae Sot on the Thai-Burmese border, where at the invitation of a local orphanage they taught a group of Karen refugee women how to bake bread and helped establish a social business to support these women and the orphanage.
On returning home, Paul along with his partner at Bourke Street Bakery, David McGuinness, decided to use their baking expertise and community spirit to set up a social enterprise bakery to empower the least privileged in our community. Their vision was that Bourke Street Bakery would gift its time, baking and hospitality expertise to establish a wholesale bakery where 100% of the profits would go towards training and employment opportunities for refugees and asylum seekers in Sydney. Paul is currently running The Bread & Butter Project on a volunteer basis.
 

Governance


The Bread & Butter Project is a public company with a voluntary board of directors. As a social enterprise - we operate as a commercial business and at the same time are a registered charity with DGR status. 100% of our profits are channeled into creating opportunity and alleviating poverty. Currently bread & pastry sales fund 90% of our training and operation costs and donations fund the remaining 10%. We also rely on volunteers and pro bono assistance to help us achieve our goals.
 

Founding Team & Board


Paul Allam - Founder
Paul has been a chef and baker for over twenty years.  In 2004, along with David McGuiness, he established the highly acclaimed Bourke Street Bakery.

David McGuiness - Co-Founder
A veteran of the hospitality industry, David is a chef with a particular passion for pastry. He has always seen Bourke Street Bakery as more than a business and has nurtured its place as a community bakery. David is thrilled Bourke Street Bakery has been able to initiate something as exciting, bold and life-changing as The Bread & Butter Project. 

Jessica Grynberg - Co-Founder
Jessica is a researcher and writing and communications consultant. The vast amount of her career has been in international and local documentary and factual entertainment TV as a researcher, Associate and development producer.
 
Sally McGeogh - Co-Founder
Sally has worked at the intersection of social entrepreneurship, business and philanthropy with the School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE). Sally has also worked at Oxfam and has been a sustainability and communications consultant. She currently works as a senior advisor at The Westpac Foundation.

Rachel Simons - Company Secretary
Rachel is an experienced labour lawyer, who has worked at major international firms in Sydney, London and New York. More recently, Rachel lead the HR team for the ABC's News and Television Division.  Rachel is currently completing her Masters in Executive Coaching at NYU.
 
Chris Green - Chairperson
Chris is an experienced investment banker, who has worked for Macquarie Group and PWC in Sydney and New York. Chris currently heads up Macquarie Capital's real estate group globally from New York. Chris has a bachelor of commerce and law from Sydney University.

Daniel Zanello - Board Member
Daniel is a trained solicitor and works as a prosecutor with the NSW Environmental Protection Authority. Prior to moving into the law Daniel was a successful hospitality entrepreneur.

Dr Kevin Maruno - Board Member
Kevin is a senior special emergency doctor at St Vincents Hospital in Sydney. He is also a medical lecturer at the University of New South Wales.
 

Our Sponsors & Supporters

 



Pro-Bono Partners


  • The Cru Media - PR
  • Suzanne Kuntz - Executive coaching and trainee support
  • Breville - Product photography
  • Jo Yeldham - Trainee and baker portrait photography

Friends


A Big Thank You...
Thank you for daring to dream with us.  By rolling up our sleeves in providing an honest craft we can make a difference to those who need it most.

Thank you also to our pro-bono supporters:

  • The Cru Media - PR
  • Breville - product photography